Everyone who’s “famous” in Paleo has a Podcast and/or a food (insert macronutrient, exclusionary item here) challenge. Well, you can now add The Health and Comedy Show (Podcast) to those who are starting a food challenge. During a recent recording Dan, Amy, and I were discussing Low Carbohydrate diets. Dan had the brilliant idea (he’s an idiot!!) for all of us to do a 30 Day Low Carb challenge starting May 1, 2013. I’m not sure if we ever determined a max carbohydrate limit, but somewhere around 500 grams per day sounds reasonable to me… (KIDDING!) We nailed down a few dos and don’ts.
• No drinkable food (shakes, smoothies, protein powders, juices, coconut water, etc)
• No dairy (ghee is acceptable)
• No Fig Newtons
• No legumes, nuts, or seeds
• No wheat or gluten containing foods
• No Fig Newtons
• No processed food (Protein Bars, paleo treats, etc.)
• No refined sugar or added sugar or sweeteners
• No Fig Newtons
• No alcohol
• No processed seed and vegetable oils (canola, vegetable, peanut, etc.)
• 30 Days
• Eat whole real food
• Eat sweet potatoes, white potatoes, especially post workout (If you choose. If you really want to be hard-core you don’t have to do this and you can donate your post workout carbs to Amy – please and thank you.)
• If you want, up to 2 fruits a day (Again, your choice and Amy will pick up any scraps that you choose to leave behind.)
• Coffee, it you desire (AND I DO)
• Eat healthy fats (avocado, coconut, olive oil, etc.)
There was some fear from Amy that she would lose too much weight (2 lbs) going on a low carb challenge. Because we don’t want her to become a victim of CPS, please donate all uneaten carb allowances to her bank. (FYI – we are allowing her to up her carb intake as needed using real food.) I am setting a max limit for myself of 75 grams of net carbohydrates per day – because I am bat-shit crazy. Without a set amount, I will binge on Fig Newtons while rocking back and forth in the corner with a Mason Jar of shine. As for Dan, we are not sure of his max carb limit – But have decided that 5 Paleo Treats in 5 minutes definitely breaks the rules. However, we do think he is trying to create low carb chocolate that is palatable for this challenge, so we are outlawing that too.
So what do I hope to accomplish? For starters, not to rough up any small children eating ice cream, not have any nightmares of Fig Newtons, and hope all my protein powder does not go bad in 30 days. If that goes well, then maybe lean out a little. I am going to add Eight Minute Meditation to this challenge. Also, my training will be a bit different. I will be doing 3 days of Crossfit at home coupled with 2 days of strength training including curls in the squat rack.
You might be asking why I have agreed to a challenge like this (besides the fact that I am mentally unstable or had consumed too much shine prior to our discussion). Accountability. I tried the Whole30. I got about 30 minutes into it before deciding I like COFFEE and BACON too much. I lasted exactly 21 minutes on the 21 Day Sugar Detox because, well… ice cream. I can complete this challenge because I have people supporting me (hopefully) on this journey. Again thanks to Dan for challenging us. I’ll see you on the other side and please be waiting for me with a bag of Fig Newtons!
Thanks to Amy Kubal for assisting with this post.